The former Victoria Hotel was situated on the corner of Marrickville Road & Illawarra Road Marrickville.
In 1912 plans were submitted to alter the grand premises. (Click to Enlarge) but in the 1930s, as was common with many of the local pubs art deco renovations were carried out.
Taken over by Tooth & Co the hotel was demolished and rebuilt in March 1938. In its place was a purpose built art deco style hotel designed by architect Sidney Warden and now known as “Marrickville Hotel”.
|Images: Marrickville Library Services|
Sidney Warden designed many hotels, and some of the local ones include the Henson Park Hotel (Marrickville), the Town & Country Hotel (St Peters) and Lewisham Hotel (Lewisham).
More can be read about Sidney Warden designed hotels, including pictures at http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=375024. The Powerhouse collection also contains images of the interior of the renovated Marrickville Hotel.
|Image: Google Earth|
A visit to the corner of Marrickville & Illawarra Roads confirms that this building still exists today. It has now been split into different sections, with commercial businesses and the Marrickville Tavern sharing space in the former hotel. The building has been altered so much that it has been deemed as having no heritage value and hence, makes its way onto our “Heritage Lost” list.