The Marrickville Cottage Hospital was designed by Morgan and Josephson Architects with the foundation stone laid by Governor Hampden in April 1897. Consisting of two buildings, one fronting Lilydale Street and another behind, the hospital opened 10 June, 1899. In 1902 an isolation wing was added to the rear block (possibly resulting from the bubonic outbreak of 1900) and a second building was placed on the front block in 1905. In 1913 the two buildings on the front block were joined by the construction of a square tower over the present day entrance facing Lilydale Street. In 1922 the site became the Marrickville District Hospital, and by 1935 it was treating 7,237 patients a year and contained 91 beds. By the 1970s a series of funding cuts saw a declining usage for the site, and despite years public support the Hospital closed in 1991.
|Hospital Photos: http://www.marrickville.nsw.gov.au|
|The Sydney Morning Herald, 6/11/1905|