Okay .. so a slight exaggeration ...But there are many bridges in the local general area that have steel components manufactured by Dorman Long Co Ltd which were the engineering firm that built the Sydney Harbour Bridge.One such bridge is the footbridge that crosses the Cooks River near the clubhouse of Marrickville Golf Links. If… Continue reading Marrickville’s own "Sydney Harbour Bridge"
When Petersham railway station was first opened in 1855 it was called Sydenham Station as the surrounding area was known as Sydenham Farms.The Farms were split up and sold during the mid 1850s and around this time two streets were renamed after the Crystal Palace which was designed for the Great Exhibition in London in… Continue reading Street Names: Crystal & Palace Streets Petersham
Petersham station opened in 1857. Petersham Station 1870sPhoto: Art Gallery of NSW The former Petersham railway station building is located in Terminus Street. This heritage listed building, completed in 1885, was designed by George Cowdery in the Victorian Italianate architectural style. It is the only major 'First Class' station building known to have been built… Continue reading RAILWAY STATIONS: Petersham